Brigadier General, Retired
- MA, Counseling Psychology, Anna Maria College
- MS, Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College
- BS, Special Education, Fitchburg State College
Certifications & Licenses
- Dual Status Commander, U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM)
- Joint Task Force Commander, U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM)
- Principal, MA Department of Elementary & Secondary Education (DESE)
- Special Education Teacher, MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
Professor Smith has over 35 years’ experience in the Massachusetts public schools system. Here, he developed several programs, including an award-winning vocational special education program, an innovative criminal justice program, and highly effective school safety partnerships. Paul also worked as a special education teacher, curriculum specialist, and assistant principal.
Paul also served in staff and command assignments in the Massachusetts Army National Guard for over 35 years. He served the U.S. Northern Command (NORTHCOM) as the Dual Status Commander, as well as the Joint Task Force Commander during the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombing Response. Paul was also assigned to border security missions and peacekeeping force developments in South America.
- MSC-730 Capstone: Counter Violent Extremism Strategies