NicholsNews Nichols-Shield Bison newspaper pen4 mic graduation profile file-text2 certificate coin-dollar phone-wave2 location4 compass4 calendar2 bubbles4 user3 users4 search3 key2 rocket balance shield2 clipboard2 menu7 sphere earth flag6 snowflake sun3 question3 facebook instagram twitter youtube vimeo2 flickr3 linkedin

Graduate & Professional Studies

Contesting a Grade

The appeal procedure may not be used to challenge a grade that results from a faculty member exercising usual and customary professional judgment in the evaluation of student work. No grade may be appealed after six months from the issuance of the grade.

  1. A student who believes an error has been made in his or her grade in any class should attempt to resolve the issue informally with the instructor.
  2. In the event that an informal resolution does not occur, the student should promptly (within two weeks of speaking with the instructor) submit the grievance in writing, with supporting evidence, to the respective Program Director. The Program Director should then arrange a meeting with the student withing two weeks, review the grievance and supporting evidence, meet with the instructor, and resolve the problem, providing the student with written notification.
  3. If the student remains dissatisfied with the Program Directors’s decision, within two weeks of receiving written notification from the Program Director, the student may submit a written appeal to the Executive Director of Graduate & Professional Studies to request a meeting. Following this meeting, the Executive Director of Graduate & Professional Studies would make a binding decision, thereby concluding the matter.

Course Repeat Policy

A graduate student who received an unsatisfactory grade in a course may repeat the course by registering again for the course and by informing the registrar that the course is being repeated. Both grades, however, will remain on the permanent transcript, but only the most recent grade earned will be calculated into the grade point average (GPA).

Incomplete Policy

Assuming the faculty member determines as an exercise of his or her individual discretion that a student returning from an excused absence (1) has already completed at least 60 percent of the current semester’s coursework, and (2) projects to be able to successfully complete all course requirements if provided limited additional time, a faculty member may assign a grade of Incomplete in order to allow a student up to seven (7) weeks of additional time to complete course requirements. Students are required to engage their professor and establish with the professor a mutually agreeable written plan for submitting all required coursework.

Withdrawal from Course

A student may withdraw from a course within the first four (4) weeks of a seven-week session without academic penalty. The student will receive a grade of “W.” See the current class schedule for specific withdrawal dates for the current semester. Please use Drop Action in WebAdvisor to complete the process. Please note: If withdrawing from all registered courses in a given semester, the request for withdrawal must be submitted in writing or via email to the Registrar’s Office at .

Tuition will not be refunded for courses from which a student withdraws. To obtain a refund, the student must have dropped the class within the published tuition withdrawal deadlines.

This publication provides information concerning the programs at Nichols College and does not constitute a contract with the student.

The policies and procedures contained in the 2019-current Nichols College Catalog will remain in effect until otherwise noted. Nichols College reserves the right to change at any time the rules governing admission, tuition, fees, courses, the granting of degrees, or any other regulations affecting the campus community. Such changes are to take effect whenever college officials deem necessary.