Career and Professional Development Center
Nichols College Career and Professional Development Center is located on the second floor of the Fels Student Center. The team truly enjoys working with all students as well as alumni. The benefits available to Nichols College students include:
- Road to Success This is the employment database, filled with internship and job opportunities, as well as descriptions and contact information for hundreds of employers. It is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so it can be used at a student’s convenience. Simply email the office and request an account: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Optimal Resume This Web-based resume development program is available to students with an active Nichols.edu email account. With a library of over 100 sample resumes, it will help a student design, write, and manage multiple versions of his or her resumes. Additionally, there is a business letter-writing module included to help with cover letters, thank you letters, and the like. To get started, visit: www.nichols.optimalresume.com
- CareerShift: This is an online database where you can search for companies, jobs and contacts across the country. You have the ability to connect it with your LinkedIn network. It also offers outstanding organizational tools to help you manage your job search effectively.
- Email Critiques The CPDC staff are very experienced with resumes and cover letters, and are happy to provide a critique via email. Simply email your materials to email@example.com and allow two (2) to three (3) business days for review. They will respond with a written critique.
- Career Coaching Appointments Sometimes it really helps to have a face-to-face conversation with a career coach! During a scheduled 30-minute appointment focus is made on the area or areas of most interest to the student: resumes and cover letters, job search strategy, networking, interviewing, and the like. Appointments are available Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Mock Interviews No doubt, interviewing can be intimidating––particularly when it is for that exciting, once-in-a-lifetime job. CPDC will conduct a confidential mock interview with you and provide confidential feedback. Practice and preparation mean more confidence.
- On-Campus Recruiting and Skype Interview Technology: During the fall and spring semesters, employers visit the campus to conduct on campus interviews. Students may apply for interviews with any companies of interest. The on-campus recruiting schedules are posted in Road to Success. Contact CPDC to set up an account, and to learn how it works. The interview rooms are also equipped with state of the art interviewing technology. The rooms can be reserved during office hours for Skype or telephone interviews scheduled with employers.
- Focus 2 Assessment For those students looking to make a career change, but who are not sure of which direction to take, assessments can be very helpful. Focus 2 can be taken online at the student’s convenience. After answering a series of preferential questions related to skills, interests, values, and the like, a comprehensive report is generated highlighting several career possibilities that fit well with the responses.
- Social Media CPDC regularly uses social media to spread the word about new job postings and share informative articles and tips. Follow us on Twitter @NicholsCareer, as well as on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram by searching Nichols Career and Professional Development Center.
- Career Library The library houses a large bookshelf of career-related books that students are welcome to review and borrow. Topics available include using social media effectively in the job search, networking, resumes and cover letters, graduate school preparation, industry-specific books, and more.
This publication provides information concerning the programs at Nichols College and does not constitute a contract with the student.
The policies and procedures contained in the 2019-current Nichols College Catalog will remain in effect until otherwise noted. Nichols College reserves the right to change at any time the rules governing admission, tuition, fees, courses, the granting of degrees, or any other regulations affecting the campus community. Such changes are to take effect whenever college officials deem necessary.