Professor of Education
Joanne [dot] Newcombe [at] nichols [dot] edu
- BA, Education, UMASS Amherst
- MEd, UMASS Lowell
- EdD, Northeastern University
During part of the year, Professor Newcombe teaches masters level classes overseas and has taught in a number of countries including Italy, Turkey, Poland, Taiwan, Kuwait, South Korea, Costa Rica, Lebanon, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Guatemala, and El Salvador. She also reads doctoral dissertations for five different universities in India.
Dr. Newcombe teaches the following courses, depending on the semester:
- Foundations and Philosophies of Education
- Methods and Materials in Middle and Secondary Education
- Curriculum and Assessment in an Age of Multicultural Education
- Educational Psychology
- Communication and Technology in the Classroom
- Psychology of Adolescence
- Effective Speaking
- Management and Organizational Behavior
- Teaching and Learning through Film (first-year seminar)
A former educator in the K-12 system who has held the positions of teacher, assistant principal, principal, assistant superintendent, and superintendent, Dr. Newcombe brings extensive experience into the classroom. Prior to coming to Nichols and teaching at the graduate, masters and doctoral level, she has held the roles of associate professor, professor, department chair, graduate program coordinator.
Hobbies, Activities, etc.
In her spare time, she loves gardening and traveling with her husband.